Sunday, February 18, 2007

Knowledge of Fragrance


Why is smelling good so important?

What is it about a familiar scent that reminds us of people or childhood memories? Every time I smell Dr. Pepper Lipsmacker, I think about a classic childhood- unlike one I could ever forget.

Let's admit it, smelling good rocks.

Almost every person I know chooses a scent, or a few, of their own. One of my faves is "Woman in Yellow" by Oiseau. I feel so fresh in its fragrance.

This is what Webster tells us about the word fragrance.
1. The quality of being fragrant; a sweet or pleasing scent.
2. The state or quality of having a pleasant scent.

Notice how both of the definitions say something about a fragrance being pleasant, or a quality. A state even.

We're talking much deeper than a smell here.

There is nothing undesirable about a fragrance.

God gives me pages of His fragrance. His pleasant, perfect, intoxicating aroma. He even lets me wear some of it.

"But thanks be to God, who in Christ always leads us in triumphal procession, and through us spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of Him everywhere" ~2 Corinthians 2:14

Triumphal means:
1. Of, pertaining to or commemorating a triumph or victory

Procession means:
1. The line or body of persons or things moving along in such a manner
2. Act of coming forth from a source

What source are you coming from? What scent do you smell like?

Is your scent a fragrance or an odor?

This is my realization. It's as if God were speaking to me directly saying, "Emily, I'm going to give you a fragrance of my knowledge. I'm going to honor Jesus and have a huge party. I want you to be there, so bad."

And He does. He wants us to show up for the commemoration of Jesus. Every day.

He always leads us. His word says so. All that is required of us is following. He'll glaze us in His perfect fragrance so we can be like Him.

My perfume always fades during the day, and eventually my bottle runs out.

Not God's. When I'm wearing His fragrance, all I have to do...



is ask for more.

2 comments:

Jon said...

Nice, I like the idea of smelling good, especially smelling good because of God...oh and I like the Rob Bell format, easy to read!

Anonymous said...

You are an insperational writer Em. I really enjoy reading your blogs because they allow me to see a little more deep in to your life and I can see what is going on in that beautiful mind and heart of yours. It is so true how a scent can bring back memories, both good and bad, and we usually link different scents with different people. My 7-year-old sister Anna is soooooooo cute because we walked in to Fashion Square Mall last night and she said; "Oh I love the smell of this place. I know I have been here before because I remember how it smells." She is always linking smells with memories and people. I love the way Arizona smells after it rains. It reminds me of Jesus' love for me; so new, fresh, and wonderful.
-Sarah M